Tuesday
An Emergency Room visit
After lunch, Hanny was playing in our living room. She had a little toy in each hand and was on her way to the window where she likes to line up her toys on the windowsill. As she got closer, she slipped on the laminate floor between the rug and the windowsill. She smacked her mouth on the sill and immediately started to bleed profusely (mouth bleeds are always worse than they actually are). At first, I thought for sure she bit down on her tongue. After finally getting the bleeding to stop, I was able to quickly get a glance in her mouth. The first thing I noticed was a little chip in her top tooth. This made my stomach ill... next, I saw a big cut on the inside of her lip along with a big flap of skin just hanging there. Poor girl! She cried and cried and finally I was able to get her down for a nap.
During her nap, I debated whether or not to call the Dr. and make an appointment. Being a first time mom is so hard because I can never tell what is considered "bad" or "just fine". I decided to call my sister, who has 3 (a bit older) kids and has probably seen everything, and see what she thought about it. Eventually, I ended up driving over to her house so she could investigate this cut and help me decide if I should take her to the Dr. She was able to look in Hannah's mouth and we both saw that there was skin (still attached to the cut), stuck in her two front teeth. My sister, laura, didn't think the cut was too horrible. But, we decided that I should call the Dr. anyway (I know, it's so strange...). I talked to a nurse and she didn't seem too concerned and told me that I should try to work the skin out with a q-tip before Hannah's bed time.
Bedtime came and I pinned Hanny down so I could try and get the skin out....well, LOTS of tears (from both of us) later, I couldn't get the job done. I called the Dr. on call and he told me to take her to the ER since she shouldn't go to sleep like that. Ugh! Of course, it was already past her bed time and the ER was 25 minutes away. How was I supposed to drive there and sit in the ER for who knows how long. Oh, and did I mention that I was all by myself since Matt was in Boston for work??
I decided to take her to the Premier Urgent Care that was only 5 minutes from us. What happened here will forever scar me. The Dr. confirmed that there was indeed skin in her teeth and it was pulling at the cut since the skin was attached to the cut. They swaddled Hannah up in a tight blanket so she couldn't move and it took 3 of us to hold her down. The Dr. had a little needle like tool (not sharp) and tried for 3 minutes to get the skin out. Hannah screamed so hard that she was turning blue. I almost had the Dr. stop because I thought for sure Hannah was going to pass out. I have never seen my baby cry so hard. It was absolutely terrible and I will never forget it. They, of course, had no luck getting it out...but the Dr. did tell me Hannah had torn her frenulum (the piece of skin connecting your gums and the inside of your lip). It wasn't bad enough for stitches, though. We were discharged and told to make an "emergency" appointment with the dentist in the morning.
Wednesday
The dentist
The next morning, the dentist looked in Hannah's mouth for literally 30 seconds and told me that her cut was already healing and there was nothing in her teeth....her gum was just so swollen that it was hanging low and it looked like there was. So, basically, the Dr. from the night before was digging into her gum and trying to pull something out of her teeth that wasn't actually there. I needed a few days to recover from all this!! And to make matters worse, that night she fell again and cut open her bottom lip. Walking is a tough job!!
I am sure this won't be the last ER visit!!
Thursday
Matt comes home
Hannah and I stayed home for the day so she could rest and just play with her toys. I needed to recover from the past couple days, too! She was a real fuss since her mouth was probably so sore and her teeth were rubbing against her cut. I was looking forward to Matt coming home from his business trip all day. He was able to catch an early flight and was home by 8pm! I was so excited to see him and of course have him home.
Friday
A date
Matt and I hadn't been out...alone...since my 21 week ultrasound with Elsie. I don't even like to count that as "a date" since it was such a horrible night. So, before that night, our last date was probably July. So pathetic! My sister offered to watch Hannah for one night so Matt and I could grab dinner and finish our Christmas shopping. We are so grateful for her help! We really needed a couple of hours to spend together and we had a great time. We ate at a Thai restaurant that was really good. We like to try new foods and new restaurants. Our dinner consisted of red curry, chicken, and vegetables...and VERY spicy spices! We headed to the outlets after dinner and went into every store. This delighted us because usually we are only in the stores for 2 minutes before a certain little girl wants out of her stroller and reeks havoc on the place. We came home feeling refreshed and so thankful for a night out. Hannah did great with Laura and her cousins, too! It was nice to come home and not have to do bed time or clean up a million toys after a long day.
Karen - - good thing to write this all down so you can remember the pain! (for her and you!) :)
ReplyDeleteThat last pic of her is adorable. ADORABLE.
I love the title of this post.