Monday, April 4, 2011

It's a girl!!

Matt and I went to our 18 week ultrasound last Tuesday.  We were told that we'd find out the gender of our little mango sized baby...we were so excited!!  The ultrasound wasn't what we expected, but in a good way.  The ultrasound tech showed us all of the baby's organs, spine, and took measurements.  But, before any of that...we were told it was a girl!  I looked over at Matt and his face was priceless.  It was as if he was thinking, "this tech has to be wrong... is she sure? She must be looking at the wrong thing". He is actually VERY happy and excited, though.  She showed us the baby's bum and there were three little lines that were the girl's genitals, if it were a boy, there would only be two lines.  So cool!  Our little girl was moving the entire appointment...she was wide awake doing somersaults, kicking, and even punching.  Of course, I didn't feel any of it.  Anyway, everything looked perfect. The spine and all the organs were exactly the size they should be.  She was 9 ounces and we were told she was in the 77th percentile.  The tech told us she has a little round head and then looked at Matt and said she must have his genes!! So funny.  Our next appointment is April 26th, where they will only listen for the heartbeat :)

I was SOOO anxious to run out of the doctor's office to start spreading the news.  I texted my entire family and received the reponse I wanted.  Everyone was beyond thrilled :)  My Dad even said he knew it was girl...I am pretty sure he has been right about everyone's pregnancies so far!  That is a lot of babies.  Matt and I wanted to wait to tell his side of the family till we saw them in person.  We figured since it was their first grandchild...it would be fun to make it a big announcement.  I am sure it was so hard for them to wait, it was for us to wait to tell them! 

That same day, I came home to the sweetest surprise at my door. My oldest sister left me the littlest, cutest, most precious purple onesie.  It was our first girlie outfit and I loved it.  I laid it out on my bed and just stared at it!  It finally hit me that we were going to have a baby...a girl!! I mean, it finally feels real that something is growing inside of me.  Now we put a gender to it and pretty soon a name...it's a great feeling.  My mom also sent me the cutest, pinkest onesies I have ever seen...that was a fun surprise as well!!  So now I have all my little onesies laid out...is it weird that I touch and stare at them????

We were able to tell Matt's family on the Thursday after the appointment :)  We decided to purchase a dog t-shirt for Hilo to wear. It had a baby on it and said, "It's a girl!" and I tied a pink bandana around him.  Let's just say he wasn't too happy with me... 

It's funny because we both thought we were going to have a boy, I think we both wanted a boy as well.  It was a nice thought to have our firstborn be a boy so his siblings would have an older brother. Plus, Matt, being obsessed with sports, obviously wanted one for that reason.  But, now that we found out we are having a girl...we couldn't be more thrilled!!  I am so excited to dress her in little dresses and hats and have her be Mommy's little helper.  Matt told me he was excited to have her watch Eagles games with him on Sunday :)  He is SOOO happy but also nervous it's a girl because he worries he won't be able to discipline her or yell at her becuase she will be too cute... so his way of dealing with this is converting us to Islam??  Thank God he was joking :)

We had my sister-in-law's wedding this past weekend, which was nice.  It just took a lot of time for my body to recover after spending the day in 3.5 inch heels!  It's now Monday and I can barely walk still!  I also had my first charlie horse experience in the middle of the night.... that..... was horrible.  I remember screaming and rolling around trying to get the pain to go away.  It finally did...but my leg was so sore even today.

That's about all I have to update!  Although, I am not too thrilled to say that I gained two pounds since last Tuesday????? Yikes, I guess I really am growing!! 

Below you will see our ultrasound, the left side is the profile of our little girl, the right side is her looking at us...she looks a little like an alien!



4 comments:

  1. Love the post! Love the pictures! You are looking lovely, my prego sister. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little baby things (don't know what you call 'em!) up top look great. It'll be fun following along.
    Love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Laura! Everyone thinks I look like you in the last picture with Matt, so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny! I thought the SAME . . .
    it's happening - - old marm like me. ;)

    ReplyDelete